NEVER MIND THE BOTOX – try a face workout!
By Dean Hodgkin
Keep young and beautiful, if you want to be loved, the old song goes, but thats easier said than done when gravity and time take their toll. But you don’t have to resign yourself to the belief that theres nothing that can be done about it.
Well, the good news is you can do something and the ideal time is right now. Dont kid yourself into thinking your porcelain features will last, youre simply in what the experts call the incubation period, whereby ultra-violet radiation, environmental pollutants and dietary toxins are beginning to silently take their toll but are yet to reveal the cumulative effects. However, before you rush off to buy expensive lotions, let your face become a pin-cushion or call Sharon Osbourne for a recommendation, sit tight, the answer is a lot closer to home. You could say its right under your nose (although all around it is a better description).
Its somewhat ironic to think that some of us spend time conditioning our tums and bums yet do nothing for the risorious (actions a smile), the zygomaticus (opens/closes the eyes) or the procerus (effects a frown) even though these are the ones on show all the time!?!
So get ready to iron out your frown lines, tone up your turtle neck and lift the jowls with our selection of cheek tricks.
– Sit in front of a mirror to check technique. Remember, these muscles are untrained so you will need to practice each technique.
– Shoulders and neck need to be relaxed so do a little mobility work and perhaps stretch these areas before your workout.
– Ease into each movement and hold for 6-8 seconds, then slowly release.
– Repeat each exercise 5 times.
– Take a deep breath in between each repetition.
1. Beat the Double Chin
Keep back teeth together, extend chin forwards.
Lift bottom lip over top lip.
Press tip of your tongue against roof of your mouth.
2. Lose the Lip Lines
Thumbs under top lip, thumb nails resting against your gums.
Contract upper lip muscles in small movements to press thumbs.
3. Rock Your Jawline
Head up, chin forward, upper lip gripped between lower teeth.
Feel stretch in front of neck.
Slowly smile without losing grip of top lip.
4. The Eyes Have It
Place index fingers under eyebrows, thumbs on side of head.
Push eyebrows up and hold by pressing against eye socket bone.
Gently close the eyes.
5. For your Eyes Only
Place palms on forehead to fix eyebrows in place.
Gradually open eyes as wide as possible.
Release and look down, as low as you can.
– Regular exercise, such as brisk walking, will help to maintain good circulation, which can be seen in your face.
– Sun sensibly by ensuring you always wear block during the summer months.
– Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day to keep your skin hydrated.
– Observe government guidelines for alcohol consumption and note that red wine contains antioxidants so should be preferred to other tipples
– According to market research company Zogby International only 6% of men would like a woman to use Botox rather than have natural wrinkles.
About Dean Hodgkin
A truly international fitness ambassador, having appeared at hundreds of events in 35 countries, Dean collected the Best International Fitness Presenter and Career Achievement awards at the glittering One Body One World ceremony, in Times Square, New York. He is renowned for offering an incredibly wide range of themed masterclasses and workshops, from mind-body through to dance through to many forms of conditioning……….and even juggling! As an established writer, his articles have been published in The Times, Sunday Times, Daily Express, FHM, Mens Health, GQ, Esquire, Zest, Health & Fitness, Slimming and Womens Health. Dean has a number of broadcast credits to his name, including fitness expert on the Terry Wogan show, a regular slot on Saga Radio and presenting corporate dvds. He has acted as a consultant to Whitbread, Marks & Spencer, Reebok, RAC, David Lloyd Leisure, Norwich Union Healthcare and NIKE. Former 3-times world karate champion, he is now Senior Manager at leading spa, Ragdale Hall.
For information on weight loss visit Deans unique website
to download fun workouts, delicious recipes and motivational tips designed to fit around your lifestyle.